Downton at Swinton
The Downton Experience at Swinton Park
Live like Lord & Lady Grantham for a weekend at an ancestral Yorkshire castle, hosted by Lord and Lady Masham.
Experience the genuine Country House Party Weekend, reflecting thoseÂ portrayed in Downton Abbey, which has taken place throughout the history of Swinton Park. Hosted by Lord and Lady Masham, whose family have owned the Swinton Estate since the 1860â€™s, the weekend is filled, in true traditional country house party style, with a variety of country pursuits and activities from which to choose. Worlds away from the hustle and bustle of modern life, yet only a couple of hours* from London by trainâ€¦
18th October 2014 â€“ 1 night, please see details below
6th – 7th March 2015, 16th – 17th October 2015 â€“ 2 nights, please contact us for more information
Programme for 18th-19th October 2014
Arrive for check in from 3pm. Your car will be valet parked and bags delivered to your room. Alternatively, if you would prefer to travel by train, we can arrange chauffeur-driven collection from the station.
After settling into your room, join the house party for the afternoonâ€™s activities: (Advance booking required)
- An early reeling rehearsal for the eveningâ€™s entertainment at 3.00pm (lasting an hour) or alternatively, a half hour falconry display at 3.30pm
- Afternoon Tea for all in the Drawing Room and Sitting Room from 4.00pm
- A game of bridge and other card games in the Panelled Room (tuition by Jack Stocken of the Andrew Robson Bridge Club) from 4.30 â€“ 6.00pm, or relax with the papers and piano music in the Drawing Room
Your time is then free to enjoy a walk in the grounds or a spa treatment, before retiring to dress for dinner.
Pre-dinner drinks will be served in the Lower Hall at 7.00pm, with the accompaniment of a harpist. A black tie (period dress optional) Grand Gala dinner will served at 8.00pm in the Dining Room, hosted by Lord and Lady Masham. Guests will be seated at two long tables and the menu will feature traditional dishes with ingredients sourced from the Estate, such as venison and pheasant. Wines selected to complement each course will be served with the meal.
Reeling will commence after dinner, at approximately 11.00pm. Coffee and petit fours will be served in the Drawing Room and Snooker Room.
After breakfast at leisure in the dining room or in your room, the morning is free for guests to choose from a programme of activities available between 10.00am â€“ 12.00pm (supplements will apply / advance booking required):
- A â€˜safariâ€™ drive into the Parkland with the Estate Ranger to see the fallow deer. Morning coffee to be served in the Deerhouse (Â£15/guest)
- A trip to Newby Hall for a private VIP tour of the house with coffee. Newby Hall was (in the 1800â€™s) Lord Granthamâ€™s home and the house is closely associated with the Downton Abbey characters and location (Â£25/guest)
- A chauffeur-driven Range Rover tour of the Swinton Estate and the Yorkshire Dales (Â£15/person â€“ based on four guests)
- A trip to Masham Church for morning service
- Clay-pigeon Shooting lesson at the Shooting School (from Â£65/guest)
- Fly fishing casting lesson at Home Lake, or Sea Trout and Salmon fishing on the River Ure (from Â£35/rod)
- Pony Trekking on the Swinton Estate (from Â£22/guest)
Morning coffee will be served at 11am for those guests remaining in the house. Room check out is by 11.30am (bags may be left for later collection), with sherry and Bloody Marys in the Drawing Room at 12.30pm, after guests return from their activities. A traditional Sunday Lunch will be served in the Dining Room at 1pm, after which guests can enjoy a guided walk in the Parkland at 2.30pm.
From Â£525 per room
Upgrade to a superior room for Â£50/room
*Grand Central provides a convenient train service from Kings Cross to Thirsk, with a journey time of 2 Â¼ hours. Recommended departure from Kingâ€™s Cross on Saturday at 13.33 or 15.34 with return from Thirsk on Sunday at 15.33 (based on current timetable). Chauffeur-driven collection from Thirsk station can be arranged. Please call 01765 680900 or email email@example.com for details and prices.
All activities are subject to availability and change.
Please note that unless otherwise stated, all rates given for these themed packages apply to standard rooms and are based on double occupancy, in some cases a two night stay is required over a weekend. Christmas, New Year and Valentines are also excluded.
There is a definite crispness inÂ the air now,Â heralding the arrivalÂ of game, wildÂ mushrooms and other Autumnal treats. While the weather is still perfect forÂ walking, cycling and ridingÂ it’s also a great time to enjoyÂ replenishing Spa treats and tempting gourmet indulgences, such as our Estate Lunch Menu – currently featuring grouse – orÂ our inspiring range of seasonalÂ cookery courses.